Choosing the right service provider can be a stressful process. No one wants to be unsatisfied with the service they receive or worse, feel ripped off by someone who over promised and under delivered. There are clear cut things you should look for when you are ready to hire someone such as a history of honest business, a record of quality work and glowing recommendations.
Where do you even start? Well, to pick someone that you can trust, start with the people around you who you trust. Ask family and friends. Who have they used to install a new HVAC system? What was their experience? This is a great way to land on a few companies. Additionally, it is a good idea to ask your neighborhood social media message board for a few leads as well.
Once you have a list of names you can begin to narrow down the list by finding out some very important information:
- Are they licensed? Have they met the state mandated qualifications? An unlicensed contractor may not be qualified to handle the work needed, which could cause issues when you one day attempt to sell your home.
- Do they have general liability and worker’s comp insurance? Make sure the company you consider hiring has proper insurance. They are on your property, perhaps up in your attic and you don’t want to be liable for any injuries that occur.
- Do they have experience and good references? Do a deep dive into their social media profiles and see what people are saying about the work they do. What have past customers said about their work and business practices?
Once you’ve checked into their background, it’s time to start inviting companies to bid on your project. There are still things to look for at this stage in the game as well:
- Are they responsive? Did they get back with you in a timely manner to schedule an appointment? When a company is competing for your job, they are on their best behavior. So if the company has a communication issue at this point, imagine how that might get worse once the job is underway.
- Is their pricing competitive? Since you may be considering more than one company to do your install, now is the time to compare the offers.
- What is in the contract? Read it. You can learn a lot from a contract. They are painful, at times, to get through but read all the fine print to make sure your expectations align with the contractor’s promises.
- Do they offer contactless services? Are they willing and do they have structure in place to respect the social distancing or quarantine guidelines you’d like to maintain. As circumstances in our world have changed quickly during the pandemic, a company should be willing to pivot to meet the current needs of its customers.
It is extremely important to take the time to learn more about the company you will be inviting into your home. You want to know that the person you hire has experience, integrity and will do exceptional work. One of our mantras is Do it the right way, with WK! While it is a cute tag line, we stand behind its promise. As a family owned and operated business, we are committed to do any job we are hired for whether it is regular maintenance, a repair or a full install the right way, the first time! Our attention to detail and dedication to customer service make us a safe choice as your dedicated service professional. If you need service, please give us a call at (845) 447-3347. And if you have used us before, please tell your friends about us!