When it comes to keeping our homes warm in the winter and cool in the summer, American consumers by and large turn to fossil fuels as their energy source. In fact, when it comes to energy consumption, according to ScienceDirect.com the energy used by American consumers for HVAC purposes is second only to the energy used for transportation.
What are fossil fuels?
Fossil Fuels are hydrocarbon-containing materials formed underground from the remains of dead plants and animals. These fuels are extracted from the Earth through mining and drilling and are used to keep our cars on the road and our homes and businesses powered and comfortable. Oil, natural gas, coal, and propane are all examples of fossil fuels, and they are what most heating and cooling systems burn.
Why consider clean energy?
Mining, drilling, processing, and moving oil, gas, and coal take a toll on our landscapes and ecosystems. Additionally, when fossil fuels are burned, they emit greenhouse gases which help to contribute to air pollution.
New York State has a Clean Heat initiative that encourages New Yorkers to convert from fossil fuels to clean energy by heating and cooling their homes with a heat pump.
What is a heat pump?
A heat pump is a single unit that is installed outside your home and will act as both a heater and an air conditioner. It draws heat from the air and during the winter it moves the energy indoors to heat and during the summer, it moves the energy outdoors to cool.
What are the advantages of a heat pump in Western New York?
- Rebates are available. Through the New York State Clean Heat Program, you can receive rebates of up to $14,000 when you convert from the use of fossil fuels to a heat pump.
- You’ll save on operating costs. Heat pumps cost less per month than heating your home with oil, natural gas, or propane.
- You get more for your money. Since they offer both heating and cooling, when you install a heat pump, you get year-round comfort.
- They take up less space than a traditional heating or cooling system.
- They allow for more individual comfort. Heat pumps offer zoned heating and cooling which means you can also say goodbye to the room that is always too cold or too hot!
Are you interested in learning more? We offer no-cost in-home comfort consultations. We encourage you to give us a call at 845-447-3347 so we can set up and appointment to assess your home and pinpoint areas the team at WK Mechanical can help improve the overall comfort of your household.