October is Fire Prevention Month so we thought we would offer some fire prevention safety tips that you can do to keep your home and family protected.
Fire Prevention Tips From Your Heating & Cooling Comfort Pros:
- Smoke & Carbon Monoxide detectors are an important part of home fire safety. In good working order, they help to keep your family safe from harm.
- You should have smoke detectors on every level of the home, including the basement. It is also a good idea to have one outside every sleeping area.
- Test your Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detectors every 30 days and replace the batteries yearly to ensure that they are in good working order.
- Replace all smoke alarms within 10 years of the manufacture date printed on the back.
- Consider installing an interconnected smoke alarm system, so that when one sounds, they all sound.
- Make sure you have a fully charged fire extinguisher on every floor of your home.
- 56% of reported home heating fire deaths were the result of HVAC equipment being too close to things that can burn, such as upholstered furniture, clothing, mattress, or bedding. Be sure the space around your HVAC equipment is clear.
- 30% of fires caused by home heating systems is due to a failure to have the equipment properly maintained. It is important to have your heating equipment cleaned and inspected every year.
- Be sure to properly maintain your fireplace.
- Have your chimney cleaned and inspected annually.
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room.
- Ashes should be cool before putting them in a metal container.
- Keep the metal ash container a safe distance away from your home (not on a porch or deck).
- Make sure your dryer is lint free. Don’t just clean the filter but also the vent hose.
We care about your family’s safety and want to help you do all you can to prevent a home heating fire. Annual Maintenance is a great way to keep your system clean and catch any dangers before they cause harm. Find out more about our Annual Maintenance Agreement called The WK Comfort Club. Visit our website: The WK Comfort Club to read all about it and then Join the Club!