We’ve already begun to feel the pinch. Consumer prices for energy have increased nearly 25% from where they were a year ago and we can expect to spend more. Last month the US Energy Information Administration reported that we can expect to pay 54% more than last year for propane, 43% more for home heating oil, 30% more for natural gas and 6% more for electric heating.
With the first official day of winter less than a month away, you may be wondering what you can do to keep your heating costs down. How can you keep your family comfortable while maintaining reasonable utility costs? We’ve got some important tips for you:
Money Saving Tips From Your Heating & Cooling Comfort Pros:
- Regular maintenance is important – When your heating system is well maintained and in proper working order, you save money. You’ll be aware of potential issues before they become larger ones and you’ll save your self expensive emergency repair visits. WK Mechanical offers The Comfort Club, which is an annual maintenance agreement that helps you to make sure your HVAC system is in top working condition. Visit our website to find out more about The WK Comfort Club here, and then Join the Club!
- Replace filters regularly – In order to get the best air quality and to ensure your system runs as efficiently as possible, you will want to make sure you replace your filters frequently. At least every 3 months. The more efficiently your system runs, the lower your bills will run.
- Make the move to a programable or smart thermostat – Programmable and smart thermostats allow you to set your home on a regular temperature cycle so that you don’t have to think about it. This simple change often translates into a lot of savings, especially if you set your thermostat to around 68 degrees when you are home and turn it down lower when everyone is snuggled up under blankets or you are headed out of the house. Every degree helps and can have a big impact on what you pay your utility company each month.
- Prevent unnecessary heat loss – From closing the fireplace flue to caulking cracks or adding weather stripping there are a multitude of ways you can fix drafts. Sealing up air leaks can save you as much as 20% on your heating bills!
- Close off unused rooms – If you have rooms in your home that are not in use during the day, close the door. Your systems won’t have to work as hard to keep them heated.
If your system is on the older side and you think you might benefit from a system upgrade, you may want to consider the year round comfort a Heat Pump can offer. There are currently some amazing rebates available, you could be eligible to receive up to $14,000! To find out more give us a call at (845) 764-9974, we’d be happy to answer any questions. You can also do a bit of research on our website, for the scoop on Heat Pumps, head here: https://wkmechanical.com/heat-pump-services/